Nótt eftir nótt is KÆLAN MIKLA at their most confident - and their most deadly. It’s been five years since Margrét Rósa, Laufey Soffia, and Sólveig Matthildur formed the band in Reykjavík, and after several successful tours and having dominated high-profiles stages, as well as releasing two critically-acclaimed albums, KÆLAN MIKLA has truly brought their A-game.
Starting off quietly with a creepy, gothed-out and ethereal intro, Nótt eftir nótt erupts with post-punk brilliance and synthlines that harken back to the bad old days of the Batcave, big hair, and Egyptian-inspired eye-liner. Tracks like Hvernig kemst ég upp? fuse melody with melancholy, while the band goes for the big goth dance number on Skuggadans, succeeding with glorious ease. Near the end of Nótt eftir nótt, when you’ve already ingested a healthy dose of Diamanda Galas meets The Birthday Party, the title track, produced by popular Icelandic electronic wizard Bang Gang, is a perfect distillation of KÆLAN MIKLA in 2018.
Although their lyrics are written and performed in their native Icelandic, they add a vivid and clear layer to the message of Nótt eftir nótt. Listeners are beckoned into a world of nightmares crossed with fairy tales, moonlit landscapes, and hypnotic shadows. KÆLAN MIKLA are set to take their place amongst the darkest aural poets on the world stage.
"After triumphant sets at Roadburn 2018 and at the Robert Smith–curated Meltdown festival, Kælen Mikla are ready to offer up their debut full-length of searing post-punk/darkwave to the world... The Icelandic trio manages to conjure shadowy influences ranging from Clan of Xymox to the Cure to Tubeway Army on their forthcoming Nótt eftir nótt LP. It's a must for fans of dark music." – Revolver
"Iceland's Kælan Mikla... Raw punk but with a defining, dark, synth dancefloor vibe." – Scene Point Blank
Nótt eftir nótt track list:
3. Hvernig kemst ég upp?
8. Nótt eftir nótt
9. Dáið er allt án drauma
KÆLAN MIKLA will be performing at the following dates:
EU/UK tour 2019 (with Some Ember):
- January 31 SE Malmo Plan B
- February 01 SE Gothenborg Musikens Hus
- February 02 SE Stockholm Kraken
- February 03 DK Copenhagen Hotel Cecil
- February 04 DE Hamburg Rote Flora
- February 05 DE Köln Blue Shell
- February 07 AT Linz Kapu
- February 08 ITA Verona Kroen
- February 09 ITA Milano Cox18
- February 10 FR Lyon Sonic
- February 11 ES Barcelona Meteoro
- February 12 ES Madrid Wurlitzer Ballroom
- February 13 ES Bilbao Kutxa Beltza
- February 14 FR Bordeaux IBOAT
- February 15 FR Paris Black Star
- February 16 BE Bruxelles Botanique
- February 17 UK Bristol Crofters
- February 19 UK London Electrowerkz
- February 20 FR Lille Le Malterie
- February 21 FR Metz La Douche Froide
- February 22 CH Bremgarten KuZeB
- February 23 DE Mannheim Schatten über Mannheim
- February 24 DE Munich Milla Club
- February 25 SK Bratislava Kulturak Klub
- February 26 HU Budapest Robot
- February 27 AT Wien Kramladen
- March 01 PL Krakow Kub RE
Toronto-based Artoffact Records released Nótt eftir nótt on CD, vinyl, and digital formats. Order here.
MORE INFO: Bandcamp / Facebook
ARTOFFACT: Bandcamp / Facebook