“While China is hardly an apt place from which to lob brickbats against abuse of power, Round Eye’s critique is nonetheless dead-on in its depiction of the US right wing’s paranoid fantasies about Muslims, gays, the urban underclass, and non-white people.”
- Dangerous Minds
Round Eye, the experimental, sax wielding, freak punk outfit have accrued a loud and controversial name for themselves since forming in 2012. The Shanghai based group have as of late been a crucial force in bridging a wide gap between the eastern and western hemispheres of DIY punk rock. Along with blazing a trail all over the globe they’ve played host to visiting western punks and some legends as well sharing stages with acts such as The Fleshtones, MDC, Mike Watt + The Missingmen, D.O.A., The FUs, The Boys (UK), Paul Collins Beat, M.O.T.O., Ceremony, Iceage, and eastern notables such as P.K.14, SMZB, SUBS, Hang on the Box, and during a mainland tour of China with UK punk legends The Boys, they were forced to literally move the tour underground after being banned by the Ministry of Culture for lewd artwork on a tour poster.
Round Eye is currently a featured band on STEREOKILLER
They’ve won the “Best Local Band” title from Shanghai’s City Weekend magazine two years in a row. They’ve released several acclaimed music videos: “Suntan” starring famed Chinese actress Wang Lin (Xue Yi), best known for her role in the Chinese soap opera Romance in the Rain and appearances in Academy Award winning Ang Lee films such as Lust / Caution), the politically and critically charged nightmare “Billy” and “Sifter” which was entirely filmed in Pyongyang North Korea making it the very first punk video ever filmed in the DPRK. They’ve played numerous festivals around the world and honed their unconventional blend of 50s R&B, Free Jazz and Punk with a critically acclaimed EP Full Circle on Ripping Records which featured Greg Ginn (Black Flag), LP Round Eye which featured Steve Mackay (Iggy Pop & the Stooges, Violent Femmes) & Lo-fi legend R. Stevie Moore, and have recently signed and released their sophomore LP, Monstervision, on Joey Shithead of DOA’s Vancouver-based Sudden Death Records. This album was recorded by Li Wei Yu & PK 14’s Yang Haisong, narrated by former The Daily Show comedian John Bloom (Joe Bob Briggs), and is the last recordings laid to wax of the late great Steve Mackay.
They have drawn comparisons to the Stooges, Captain Beefheart, Dr. Feelgood and The Fall but have more often fallen into a category all their own. This summer had Round Eye performing Tiwan’s biggest music festival Spring Scream and hitting Europe and the UK for a 60+ date tour supporting Monstervision along with another tour of China and the US during winter and spring.
- Round Eye filmed first punk music video in North Korea
- Round Eye won City Weekend Shanghai Best Band 2 years in a row
- Round Eye have collaborated with: Greg Ginn, Mike Watt, R. Stevie Moore, Steve Mackay, Joe Bob Briggs and Wang Lin (Xue Yi)
- Round Eye have been banned by Chinese Ministry of Culture
- Round Eye are made up of 4 Americans, 1 Italian
- Round Eye appeared as guests of Chic-a-go-go
- Recorded with Yang Haisong of Beijing Indie giants PK14
- The band has toured with: Mike Watt + Missingmen, Fleshtones, MDC, DOA, Ceremony (matador), Ice Age (matador), The Boys (uk), Paul Collins Beat, MOTO, Daikaiju and tons more.
- Round Eye is former bass player and lead singer of Libyan Hit Squad (ripping)
- The band has toured North America, Europe, and Asia several times.