“Aenigma” Review – 00:13
“The Lady Kills/Pervertissma” Review – 9:58
“Mr. No Legs ” Review – 16:09
“Zombie Island Massacre” Review – 23:42
“Venus in Furs” Patreon Review – 30:25
“David and Lisa” Patreon Review – 38:40
“Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman” Patreon Review – 42:55
“Dead Space” A Run Through ’91 Review – 48:03
“The Holy Virgin Vs the Evil Dead” A Run Through ‘91 Review – 51:57
“The Dark Backward” 1991 Review – 57:37
“Ostermontag” 1991/I’m Gonna Regret This Episode 2 Review - 1:03:20
Blindspot “Flash Gordon” Review with Jeremy – 1:08:07
Questions/Answers/Question of the Week, “Is Cape Fear a 1991 Top 10 Horror Movie?” – 1:29:19/1:33:37/1:38:57
Update – 1:39:43
22 Shots of Moodz and Horror – https://www.22shotsofmoodzandhorror.com/
"Aenigma" Blu-Ray Review (Severin Films)
For his final horror hit of the ‘80s, writer/director Lucio Fulci combined elements of CARRIE, PHENOMENA and SUSPIRIA with the grisly surrealism of his own past classics for one last shocker packed with “brooding, ominous imagery and signature Fulci style” (The Horror Syndicate): When a bullied student at a New England girls school becomes comatose after a prank gone wrong, her tormenters will suffer graphic telepathic punishment that includes the infamous ‘death by snails’ scene. Jared Martin (DALLAS), Lara Lamberti (A BLADE IN THE DARK) and Ulli Reinthaler (ZOMBIE 3) star in this “blast from start to finish, with some of the most bonkers imagery Fulci ever put on film” (The Video Vacuum) co-written by Giorgio Mariuzzo (THE BEYOND, HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY) and scanned in 4k from the original negative for the first time ever in America.
– Audio Commentary with Troy Howarth, Author of "Splintered Visions - Lucio Fulci & His Films" and Mondo-Digital.com's Nathaniel Thompson
– Writing Nightmares - Interview with Screenwriter Giorgio Mariuzzo
– Italian Aenigma - Appraising Late Day Fulci Featurette
Severin Films – https://severin-films.com/
“Aenigma” Blu-Ray – https://severin-films.com/shop/aenigma-blu/
"The Lady Kills/Pervertissma" Blu-Ray Review (Mondo Macabro)
Remastered, restored and available for the first time on home video anywhere in the world, this new “perverse double bill” from maverick film maker Jean Louis Van Belle contains both the 1972 release Pervertissima and the 1971 production The Lady Kills. The Lady Kills tells the story of Françoise Frémond, who travels across Europe on an apparently random killing spree, bumping off a series of increasingly odious men. From Swinging London to the eternal city of Rome, she leaves a trail of dead bodies and the question: why?
A mystery film as only Jean Louis Van Belle could make it, The Lady Kills is a blast from start to finish with an amazing soundtrack of gloriously groovy psych-rock. Pervertissima is a bizarre – and possible unique - combination of mondo movie and mad scientist flick. A beautiful woman is hired by a scandal sheet editor to research and write a report on “Love in Paris”. Her quest takes her from a lesbian sauna to a secretive club of masked swingers, via stints as a street walker in a seedy Paris back alley and a strip-tease artist in an upmarket cabaret. Her final outing leads to the clinic of the dangerous Dr Vilard, who aims to create sex robots out of human flesh, and mate them to create a race of superhumans to take over the world!
- Brand new 2k transfers from film negative, digitally restored
- Who is Jean Louis Van Belle? documentary
- Introductions to each film from writer Christophe Bier
- Mondo Macabro previews
Mondo Macabro – https://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/
“The Last Kills/Pervertissma” Blu-Ray – https://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/product/the-lady-kills-pervertissima-retail-edition
"Mr. No Legs" Blu-Ray Review (Massacre Video)
Double amputee, Mr. No Legs, may not seem much of a threat at first, but cross him and you'll see why he's Florida's ruthless drug kingpin D'Angelo's deadliest enforcer. With his unique martial arts mastery and shotgun-wielding wheelchair, Mr. No Legs is virtually unstoppable. But when a henchman kills the sister of a straight-shooting cop, D'Angelo's whole enterprise may come undone, and threaten to bring No Legs down with it.
Director Ricou Browning (co-creator of Flipper and titular star of The Creature From The Black Lagoon) brings us into a world full of double crosses, cover-ups, bloody bar brawls, and weaponized wheelchairs with Mr. No Legs!
Massacre Video proudly presents this wild, wheeled 70s crime story for the first time in HD, with a brand new 2K restoration from the only known 35mm film elements in existence!
- Brand New 2k Restoration from EXTREMELY RARE French 35mm Print
- English, French, and German Audio Options
- Uncut Composite from 35mm Print and Video Masters
- English Captions for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Extensive Stills Gallery
- Trailers for other Massacre Video Releases
- Plus other Surprises
Massacre Video – http://massacrevideo.com/site/
“Mr. No Legs” Blu-Ray – https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Legs-Blu-ray-Richard-Jaeckel/dp/B089TXGNQV/
"Zombie Island Massacre" Blu-Ray Review (Vinegar Syndrome)
This special limited edition embossed slipcover (designed by Earl Kessler Jr.) is limited to 2,000 units and is only available here at VinegarSyndrome.com!
A group of Americans, on what they assumed would be a relaxing and fun-filled vacation in the Caribbean, soon find themselves trapped in the island wilderness after their tour bus breaks down. Alone and stranded, the group begin to fall prey to an unknown, voodoo mask wearing assailant who bumps them off in various nasty ways, ranging from decapitation and evisceration, to impalement. As the surviving members of the group frantically search for help, they begin to suspect that not all of them might be who they claim they are, and that one of them might be a cold-blooded killer...
John N. Carter's ZOMBIE ISLAND MASSACRE, the production of which is still somewhat shrouded in mystery, was produced at the height of the 80s slasher craze and features all of the genre hallmarks including gruesome death, gratuitous nudity, and an entirely original looking 'killer guise,' along with a score by genre favorite Harry Manfredini (Friday the 13th). Previously viewable only in dark and drab video sourced editions which mask its impressive special effects and surprisingly colorful cinematography by Robert Baldwin (The Exterminator), Vinegar Syndrome brings ZOMBIE ISLAND MASSACRE to Blu-ray, newly restored from its 35mm original negative.
Directed by: John N. Carter
Starring: David Broadnax, Rita Jenrette, Tom Cantrell
1983 / 88 min / 1.85:1
• Region Free Blu-ray/DVD combo
• Newly scanned & restored in 2k from its 35mm camera negative
• Original theatrical trailer
• Multiple TV spots
• Promotional ‘sizzle’ reel
• Reversible cover artwork
• English SDH subtitles
Vinegar Syndrome – https://vinegarsyndrome.com/
“Zombie Island Massacre” Blu-Ray – https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/zombie-island-massacre
Patreon Review "Venus in Furs" DVD Review (Blue Underground)
Jess Franco's Supernatural Sex Stunner!
Of all the twisted hits from cult director Jess Franco (Sadomania, 99 Women), this is the one that fans and critics alike call his masterpiece! James Darren (The Guns Of Navarone, Deep Space Nine) stars as a traumatized trumpeter sucked into a whirlpool of psycho-sexual horror along with his sultry girlfriend (singer Barbara McNair) a kinky lesbian (Margaret Lee of The Bloody Judge), a depraved playboy (the legendary Klaus Kinski) and the mysterious insatiable beauty (luscious Maria Rohm of Justine) who may lead them all straight to Hell.
Dennis Price (Vampyros Lesbos) co-stars in this infamous erotic shocker that also features an outstanding jazz score by British rockers Manfred Mann, Venus In Furs has been remastered from original vault elements and is now presented totally uncut, uncensored and loaded with exclusive Extras, including all-new interviews with Jess Franco and the elusive Maria Rohm.
Jesus In Furs: Interview with director Jess Franco
Audio Interview with Star Maria Rohm
Poster & Still Gallery
Jess Franco Bio
Blue Underground – http://blue-underground.com/
“Venus in Furs” DVD – https://mvdshop.com/products/venus-in-furs-dvd
Patreon Review "David and Lisa" Review
Now available in a brand-new HD transfer, this touching '60s classic about two emotionally disturbed teenagers drawn to each other in a mental institution created a sensation among audiences and critics when it was first released. Portrayed unforgettably by Janet Margolin (Annie Hall) and Keir Dullea (2001: A Space Odyssey), the painfully shy Lisa can communicate only through rhyme, and David cannot bear being touched. Strongly attracted to each other, they develop a deep bond that changes both of their lives. Directed by Frank Perry (Diary Of A Mad Housewife, TV's A Christmas Memory) with a strong supporting performance by Howard Da Silva as the compassionate psychiatrist, this powerful film will leave its mark on you forever. Nominated for two Academy Awards including Best Director (Frank Perry) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Elanor Perry).
Scorpion Releasing – https://www.facebook.com/scorpionreleasinginfo
“David and Lisa” Blu-Ray – https://www.kinolorber.com/product/david-and-lisa-blu-ray
Patreon Review "Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman" DVD Review (Tartan)
Legend holds that thirty years ago, a suburban town was terrorized by the spirit of a woman whose beautiful face had been grotesquely disfigured by a jealous husband. Roaming the streets wearing a long coat and surgical mask, the spirit would approach young victims and, while removing her mask, ask "Am I pretty?" The victim's response would almost always lead to their violent death.
Now, one by one, children are disappearing again. As teachers and officials desperately begin to investigate, a panic begins to build as the woman's spirit returns for some unfinished business and the town's dark secrets are exposed.
Subtitles English and Spanish
The Making of Carved
Original Theatrical Trailer
“Carved: the Slit-Mouthed Woman” DVD –
A Run Through '91 "Dead Space" DVD Review (Scream Factory)
Phaebon had been thought to be a safe and controlled research facility until a distress signal calls for Commander Kreiger (Marc Singer) and his robot Tinpan. Together, they try to save the planet from a spreading virus and an odd and growing cocoon in Dead Space, a loose remake of Forbidden World. Also starring Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) and Laura Tate.
Audio Commentary With Director Fred Gallo
Shout! Factory – https://www.shoutfactory.com/
“Dead Space/Terror Within” DVD –
A Run Through '91 "The Holy Virgin Versus the Evil Dead" Review
The forces of darkness have risen up to destroy the world and there is only one man with a jump kick powerful enough to stop them:
Okay, that’s not entirely true, because Donnie is going to need the help of the laser sword-wielding Holy Virgin (Pauline Yeung Bo-Ling) in order to defeat the green-eyed Moon Monster (Ken Lo, the super kicker villain from Jackie Chan’s DRUNKEN MASTER II). It’s an all-out brawl for the fate of humanity filled with skull-crushing, rainbow-coloured caverns, and a jaw-dropping amount of nudity.
A mad mix of martial arts action, gory horror, and sleazy sexploitation, HOLY VIRGIN VS THE EVIL DEAD is a one of a kind wild ride that Gold Ninja Video is proud to present on a Blu-ray packed with new special features, which include a feature-length commentary, a video essay about Donnie Yen’s career, and Donnie’s directorial debut ASIAN COP: HIGH VOLTAGE.
A feature-length audio commentary track by The Important Cinema Club’s Justin Decloux and Filmmaker Alex Chung.
FEATURETTE: He Will Never Go Down: A Video Essay about Donnie Yen’s Career
TRAILER REEL: A Hundred Jump Kicks
FULL-LENGTH BONUS FILM: Asian Cop - High Voltage (1994)
Liner Notes by Justin Decloux
ABOUT THE TRANSFERS
Eagle Claw Classics series is dedicated to preserving and celebrating widely available, but little respected, martial arts cinema. The films on this disc have not been remastered, but efforts have been made to present them in the most visually pleasing manner with available elements.
“The Holy Virgin versus the Evil Dead” Blu-Ray (Gold Ninja MOD) – https://goldninjavideo.com/13-holy-virgin-vs-the-evil-dead/
A Run Through '91 "The Dark Backward" Streaming Review (Amazon Prime)
IT’S THE WORLD INSIDE OUT.
A man pursues stand-up comedy encouraged by his fellow garbage man. Though his friend, who accompanies him on accordion, continues to tell him how great he is, he actually stinks. When the “comedian” grows a third arm out of his back, the friend uses this twist to get him signed up with a sleazy talent agent, and it begins to look like his career is on the move, even though his girlfriend has left him.
“The Dark Backward” DVD –
I'm Gonna Regret This #2 "Ostermontag" Review
Heiko has fallen in love with his stepsister Fabiane who rejects him and lets her twin sister Nicole replace her. One day he plans to kill Nicole in order to end the recuring mix-ups. Unfortunately he catches Fabiane instead of Nicole and is sent to a mental hospital for the rest of his life.
“Ostermontag” DVD – https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2414056/
Blindspot Episode 17 "Flash Gordon" 4K Review (Arrow Video)
“PATHETIC EARTHLINGS… WHO CAN SAVE YOU NOW?
Super producer Dino De Laurentiis (Dune, Barbarella) brought Alex Raymond’s beloved cartoon strip and the long running movie serial to the big screen with celebrated director Mike Hodges (Get Carter, Black Rainbow) at the helm, in a delirious space opera, where Flash is King of the Impossible!
Merciless Emperor Ming (Max von Sydow) decides to wreak havoc on Earth in a moment of cruel boredom. Boarding a rocket as a means of escape, star quarterback Flash Gordon (Sam J. Jones), Dale Arden (Melody Anderson) and Dr. Hans Zarkov (Topol) find themselves on Mongo. Taken prisoner Flash must save Dale from becoming Ming’s concubine, avoid the amorous intentions of Ming’s wicked daughter Aura (Ornella Muti) and unite the warring Kingdoms of Mongo.
With endlessly repeatable dialogue, inimitable camp style, the sonic stylings of Queen and a delightful band of characters and actors playing them it’s no wonder Flash Gordon has become one of the most beloved sci-fi spectacles of its era with directors such as Edgar Wright, Taika Waititi and Seth MacFarlane paying tribute to it in their work.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
– Brand new 4K restoration by Studiocanal from the original camera negative approved by director Mike Hodges
– 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
– Optional 5.1 and 2.0 stereo DTS-HD Master audio
– Booklet featuring new writing on the film by critics and film historians including Neil Snowdon, Dennis Cozzalio, John-Paul Checkett, A.K. Benedict, and Kat Ellinger illustrated with original stills
– Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
– Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions, alternative posters and promotional images
– Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Adam Rabalais
DISC 1 – FLASH GORDON & SPECIAL FEATURES (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)
– Archival audio commentary with Mike Hodges
– Archival audio commentary with Brian Blessed
– Interviews with actors Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Brian Blessed, Queen icon Brian May, composer Howard Blake, and poster designer Renato Casaro
– Behind the Scenes of Flash Gordon – an archival documentary on the making of the film
– Archival interviews with Mike Hodges, screenwriter Lorenzo Semple Jr., comic book artist Alex Ross
– Lost in Space: Nic Roeg’s Flash Gordon – a new documentary program exploring the version Roeg (The Man Who Fell to Earth) had originally planned to make with producer Dino De Laurentiis
– Gremlin’s Finest Hour – an episode from the animated Flash Gordon TV show written by J. Michael Reaves from November 1982
– Deleted scenes and original endings – prop collector Bob Lindenmayer discusses dropped sequences and sequel ideas
– 35th Anniversary Greenroom featurette – Mike Hodges meets the cast for the first time since filming at the 35th anniversary reunion
– 35th Anniversary Reunion featurette – the cast and crew discuss Flash Gordon
– Entertainment Earth on Flash Gordon merchandise
– Storyboards gallery
– Stills gallery
– Original Trailer
– Easter Eggs
DISC 2 – LIFE AFTER FLASH & SPECIAL FEATURES [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE] (BLU-RAY) (REGION A FOR North America)
– 2017 feature length documentary by filmmaker Lisa Downs on the rollercoaster life of Sam J. Jones since his role in Flash Gordon, featuring the main cast and crew as well as a host of fans including Stan Lee, Robert Rodriguez, Mark Millar and more!
– Sam J. Jones – a variety of interviews and featurettes including coverage of a script read from the Chattanooga Film Festival, Sam discussing his career in Mexico, his “prayer walk”, and more
– Melody Paintings Extended – actress Melody Anderson talks about her love of painting and talks about various pieces displayed in her home
– Topol – a variety of interviews with the actor on his collections, awards and charity work
– Brian Blessed – the actor recounts amusing stories about Flash Gordon
– Late, Great Wyngarde – actor Peter Wyngarde discusses his experiences filming Flash Gordon and his relationship with Mike Hodges
– Deep Roy – the actor raps about ambition and recounts an amusing story about Eastbound & Down
– Alex Ross Talks Early Art – the artist talks about Flash Gordon and the many pieces of art he created for it from childhood to modern day
– Tell Me More About the This Man Houdini – actor Rich Fuller and Jason Lenzi, founder of toy brand Bif Bang Pow, discuss a scene from Flash Gordon
– Comic Con early draft – A featurette looking at the phenomenon that is Comic Con, featuring interviews with attendees and a host of regular talent including Sam J. Jones, Rich Fulton, Jason Mewes, Michael Rooker, Claudia Wells, and more
– Interview with Lisa Downs – the director of Life After Flash explores her motivation to make the film and experiences during the production
– Life After Flash on the Road – a variety of featurettes on the film travelling to various festivals and production including Q&A excerpts with the Flash Gordon cast, behind-the-scenes footage, Kickstarter funding video
Arrow Video – https://www.arrowvideo.com/
“Flash Gordon” 4K Collector’s Edition – https://mvdshop.com/products/flash-gordon-limited-edition-uhd-4k-ultra-hd
Ask a Question/Answer a Question
"Is "Cape Fear" 1991 enough of a horror film to include it in a top 10 of 1991?"
Aenigma – 1987 – Lucio Fulci
The Lady Kills – 1971 – Jean-Louis van Belle
Pervertissma – 1972 – Jean-Louis van Belle
Mr. No Legs – 1979 – Ricou Browning
Zombie Island Massacre – 1984 – John N. Carter
Venus in Furs – 1969 – Jesús Franco
David and Lisa – 1962 – Frank Perry
The Slit-Mouthed Woman – 2007 – Kôji Shiraishi
Dead Space – 1991 – Fred Gallo
The Holy Virgin Versus the Evil Dead – 1991 – Tony Lou Chun-Ku
The Dark Backward – 1991 – Adam Rifkin
Ostermontag – 1991 – Heiko Fipper
Flash Gordon – 1980 – Mike Hodges
Life After Flash – 2017 – Lisa Downs